Chimborazo - Account of Crossing






                                                                17 April to 22 May, 1855

Some of the passengers were:

James Hughes 31, Margaret Hughes 30, Maria Hughes 13, Talliesen 12, Gomer 9, Matthew 4, Lewis 2 and Daniel 10/12.

Sarah Ann Williams.

Rachel Bowen.

Jeremiah Price 50, Jane Price 45, Ann Price 19, John Price 10, Isaac Price 9, Jeremiah Price 6, Mary Price 2, Martha Price 2, Susan James 22.

David W. Davis and Charlott Jeremy.

David Bowen family.

Roberts family.

Davis Edwards.

Daniel Jones, Mary Jones, Thomas Jones and William Jones.

                                                          THE SAILSHIP CHIMBORAZO


On April 17, 1855, the sailship Chimborazo with 432 Latter-day Saints on board sailed from Liverpool, England, for America. The company arrived at Philadelphia May 22. Edward Stevenson, was appointed president of the Chimborazo conference. This Conference consisted of all the Saints on board the ship. Elder William G. Mills was appointed historian. He kept a daily record of the voyage across the ocean. He wrote the history of the Chimborazo Conference.

On Thursday, April 12th 1855, the ship Chimborazo, Peter Vesper Master, 1071 Tons, register, was appointed to sail from the Port of Liverpool, Eng., with 432 passengers on board belonging to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

On Wednesday evening, April 11th, at a meeting of Elders, held at 15 Wilton Street, President Franklin D. Richards, presiding. Elder Edward Stevenson, president of Gibraltar Mission was appointed to preside over the passengers on board the said ship. Elders A. L. Lamoreaux, ex-president of the French Mission, Thomas Jeremy, ex-councillor of the Welsh Mission, Martin Slack, ex-president of Essex Conference, and William G. Mills, ex-president of the Reading Conference were appointed to be Councillors to Elder Stevenson.

President F. D. Richards in an impressive and affectionate manner instructed the Elders on the duties of all emigrating, especially of the ex-presidents about to embark. He said, "I hold you brethren responsible for the state, condition, and feelings of the Saints, temporally and spiritually under your watchful care. You have more responsibility than you ever had before from the fact of the Saints being gathered from the various parts and coming from the privileges of a land home and being associated so closely within the confines of a ship.

On Thursday, April 12th, the Saints were generally on board arranging their berths and luggage. Elders Slack and Mills attended to putting on strict guards by day and night to prevent strangers and dishonest persons stealing from the Saints. The vessel did not clear out today. On Friday some provisions served.

On Saturday, 14th, a meeting was convened on the Poop deck to organize the ship, and sustain the authorities, and that instruction and counsel might be imparted necessary for the Saints. About 11 o'clock the meeting was opened by singing and prayer by Elder Lamoreaux. Elder Daniel Spencer addressed the Saints, giving them valuable instructions on the necessary duties while traversing the briny wave. The following motions were then made and carried. That Elder Edward Stevenson be sustained as President of this company according to the appointment of President Franklin D. Richards. That Elders A. L. Lamoreaux, T. Jeremy, W. G. Mills, and M. Slack be his Councillors. That Elders E. Sutherland, S. Burt, G. St Geer, W. Davies, D. Jeremy, Priests T. Elliott, and R. E. Davies, preside over the Seven Wards, into which the ship will be divided. That Elder Martin Slack be Secretary. That Elder W. G Mills be Historian.

The meeting was then addressed by the following brethren:

President Spencer exhorted the Saints to avoid all murmuring and complaining. The Saints have more food than the law allows and by using everything wisely they would have sufficient to sustain them. He exhorted them to entertain no hard feelings, let union prevail and confide in God, and they should cross the sea without one death.

Elder G. D. Grant exhorted the Saints to order, and desired the Saints to have even the smallest matters attended to. Let their ambition be to hold a contented mind and practice the gospel which has been preached to them and now was the time to put into practical operation every good thing they had heard as a part of Mormonism.

Elder C. H. Wheelock exhorted the Saints to purity of conduct and morals, and to seek the purity of their bodies which would avoid much sickness. Told them to avoid sin, and not give way to temptation as there would be many between this and the Valley. He exhorted the Saints not to interfere with the Captain and Sailors in their duty. Let not any give way to adultery and may that man wither away that will seek to decay the sisters any.

Elders W. H. Kimball, Jos. Ferguson, D. Jones, C. G. Webb, and President Stevenson gave valuable instruction and meeting was closed by prayer. Good feelings prevailed.

This afternoon a council meeting was held when the company was divided into Wards, and the President appointed. Arrangements were entered into relative to cooking, cleaning, and every thing that was attended to was unanimously agreed to, and all officers felt determined to do their duty. Watching arranged by Bros. Slack and Mills.

An uncommon scene occurred on board today. A Wm. Sainsbury came on board and some detective police to search for his wife and children. She was very desirous to go to America from his influence as well as obey the command of gathering. She had not long been on board yesterday when she was safely delivered of a fine child, a boy, and was doing well. The man and officers rushed in quite un-ceremoniously today, in an unfeeling manner, and insisted on questioning the week woman and exciting her and all in the cabin. She felt determined to resist his authority and anxious to proceed to America, and if she must go, it would be by force. The two little children trembled and screamed when they saw the father. Elder John A. Williams was seized by the police on pretended suspicion of having assisted and abetted her in escaping with Sainsbury's goods. After being taken to a Police Station and kept there for five hours, he was released, no charge having been preferred against him.

On Sunday, April 15th, a meeting was held on the deck for general instruction and at 10 o'clock when the meeting was addressed by Elders W. G. Mills, C. G. Webb and President Stevenson. In the afternoon another meeting was held at half past three o'clock, and after singing and prayer it was addressed by Elders Jos. Ferguson, James Bond, Philemon C. Merrill, Joseph T. Young and E. Stevenson. A good feeling prevailed. Prayer meeting before retiring to sleep was attended to in all the wards and the Saints felt well. Today Mr. Sainsbury appeared on board and contrary to the wishes and remonstrances of sister Sainsbury, forcibly carried her on shore in a weak condition, having been confined on Friday evening. This was under the sanction and protection of the law of England. Watches appointed for day and night by Elders Slack and Mills.

The child born on board was blessed today (just before taken ashore) by Elder Jos. A. Young, and called Joseph Sainsbury. A vote of thanks given to Captain Vesper for allowing the deck for meeting.

Monday, 16th. The ship did not clear out of Port today and the Saints by the counsel of the President and Council fastened boxes and luggage more secure and had everything more "ship shape." Guards were kept today by appointment of Elders Slack and Mills tonight as usual. The brethren spoken to be guards felt very willing to do any work deemed necessary for the comfort and safety of the passengers. A council meeting was held today comprising 1 Seventy, 2 High Priests, 9 Elders and 2 Priests. Instructions were imparted by President Stevenson of the practical operation. It being understood that James Elliott and Richard E. Davies are Priests, it was deemed wisdom by the Council to release them from the Presidency of Wards as there were Elders there who should preside and a vote of thanks was passed to these brethren for their punctuality in carrying out orders and doing their best. Elder Alfred Atkinson was appointed to preside over the 2nd Ward and Elder Charles G. Shill to preside over the 3rd Ward. All well on board. Prayers attended to in every ward.

Tuesday, 17th. All seemed active this morning on board, as preparations were made for moving out of dock. At about a quarter to 9 o'clock, orders were given by the mate to twin off the moorings and we moved along, all being on board except three persons who were on the quay for water but subsequently got easily on board. At 5 minutes to 12 o'clock the steam tug took us into tow and we passed gallantly through the gates into the river, amid the shouts and hearty hurrahs and cheers of the Saints on board and the friends on shore. Shortly after passing out the passengers were all mustered on the quarterdeck to see that all agreed with the "Passenger Book" furnished by our office to the government officers. These men examined all tickets--none were missing except W. Vest, wife and child, who had to leave the ship in consequence of a child's being ill, and Mrs. Sainsbury, who was forcibly taken away by her husband. No "stowaways" were found on board, save two men who jumped on board as we passed through the last gate, but who were soon detected by our guards, and given up to the captain and kept in "durance vile" until sent back by the tug. The Saints felt to enjoy themselves much and sang many hymns suitable to the occasion. The wind was light and favorably blowing and the sea tranquil and the Welsh mountains in the distance gave a feeling of rapture never felt and enjoyed by many of the Saints. The other vessels that went out with the same tide looked dressed up in their best and ample clothing, inviting the winds to embrace and fill the sheets. At 7 o'clock the Saints in every Ward met to hold testifying meetings and instructions were given to pray for fair wind and favorable weather and for blessings to rest upon our kind Captain and crew. Three marriages were celebrated on board tonight. John Pickett and Rosetta Stringer, David Rees and Martha Eynon were united by President E. Stevenson and David Williams and Ann Walters by President Thomas Jeremy in the Welsh language. Guards appointed by Bros. Slack and Mills. A Council meeting was held today and further necessary arrangements were entered into for the comfort of the Saints.

Wednesday, 18th. A dead calm this morning, not a breath seemed to disturb the waters. The sea was smooth as oil. The usual business attended to. At 12 o'clock the wind blew at N.N.W. Council meeting held this morning. The President and four Councillors present only. Another Council meeting held in the afternoon when Elder E. Sutherland was appointed Sergeant of the Guard to superintend that department and was released from presidency of his Ward. Elder R. Tresseder appointed to succeed Elder Sutherland in the Presidency. Very near the coast of North Wales today and tacking the wind being at . . . A small fishing boat came alongside and by permission of the Captain sold several Saints some fresh fish. Meeting held in every Ward tonight as usual, tonight however they held testifying meetings and Elder Lamoreaux, Jeremy, Slack, and Mills visited the Wards and gave necessary instructions and cheered the Saints. Guards appointed by Sergeant Sutherland.Thursday, 19th. All bustle this morning as usual cleaning and cooking but all very orderly. Came in sight of Ireland today. At 10 o'clock a meeting was convened by order of President Stevenson on the deck and after singing and prayer he addressed them for some time on very necessary duties, and gave them precious instruction relative to guarding, cleaning, taking care of their children, and other important matters. This afternoon the wind turned round to East, a very fair wind, and the light wind filling the canvas, our gallant ship moved on majestically at about 8 knots an hour. The fair wind and ample breeze seemed to cheer the Saints.

Friday, 20th. A splendid morning, a fair wind, still at the East and the hearts of the Saints seemed joyous, complimenting each other on the prospect of a speedy and good voyage. Provisions were served out this morning and the business got through well and quickly by the effective organization of our President and his Council. All seemed perfectly satisfied with the manner of doing business and what was given. About 15 minutes to one o'clock an accident occurred which caused great sensation and alarm throughout the ship. A baby named Mary Price aged 2 years, daughter of Jeremiah Price, being nursed by her little brother fell off the hatchway on the deck. She fell on the frontal region  of the skull just over the right eye. She was picked up in an instant and was bleeding profusely from nose and mouth. She seemed to spit the blood out to save her from choking. Speedily her face was covered with blood, the skull over her right eye was very much swollen, and her little eye was very closed up. After having bled considerably in a sitting position Elder Lamoreaux came down and promptly and energetically attended to the case as surgeon, stripped the child, washed the blood off, applied solution of Camphor and bandaged the head then laid her in a blanket, and placed her in the charge of a sister who volunteered to be nurse. The Saints sympathized much with the parents and rendered every assistance necessary and possible. Elders Stephenson, Jeremy, and Mills, administered in the ordinance of the gospel for the restoration of the child, Mills anointing and Jeremy sealing it. Elder Lamoreaux paid every possible attention to his little patient, who seemed to recover wonderfully. Indeed had not some extraordinary power assisted, she must have been killed. Some nankeen given out today to make wagon covers and tents. Meeting in every Ward. Guards kept up by the Sergeant. Several of the Saints feel a little squeamish tonight.

Saturday 21st. The wind blowing a good breeze at E. by S. The ship rocking more than yesterday and quite a number of the Saints sick this morning-the cooking gallery nearly deserted this morning, the old saying verified there "the first come, the first served" without waiting for the order of Wards. The ship sailing about 10 knots an hour. Meeting in every ward tonight. Watch kept up as usual.

Sunday, 22nd. The child that fell from the Hatchway on Friday ceased to exist in the body this morning. She died about 2 o'clock in the morning, which created a feeling of sorrow and sympathy for the parents, and regret that such a melancholy and fatal accident should have occurred on board. The ship with a good steady wind, scudding along well at about 12 knots an hour. Sickness prevails considerable on board--and many an envious inquiry made as to how they suffered or escaped from the distressing sickness, and many and different remedies recommended, some indeed novel and amusing. Old Neptune seemed to let us know we had trespassed upon his territory and inflicted a penalty for so doing. A meeting held on deck, when all that could possibly leave their berths were there to hear instruction, and the interest was the more enhanced as the child who died was to be buried in the liquid grave. After singing and prayer the meeting was severally addressed on the subject of resurrection, parents and children by the President, Elders Jeremy, Lamorequx, and Mills, after the conclusion of this meeting the body of the child sewed decently up in clean cloth, and a bag of stones attached to it was lain on a frame, and after the hymn "Now She's Gone We'd Not Recall Her" was sung, and prayer, she was cast into the water element.

Tuesday 24th. sickness prevails considerably. The vessel rolled last night for a short time to the alarm of some of the passengers, who did not understand the cause, it being a change of wind to N. and a change of sails. A good muster of Saints on deck today. About 2 o'clock we sailed from Liverpool the distance of 1145 miles. The Saints seem generally better, and the Captain kindly visited them recommending and distributing medicine to the sick, and giving them fatherly counsel, the result of experience and observation. In some instances the Captain supplied from his own table soup, etc. for the comfort of the delicate. The vessel rolled considerably tonight. Prayers as usual attended to.

Wednesday 25th. The Saints very sick today, but quite a number went on deck. Bed cloths aired in the front deck of the vessel. A Council meeting held today when the President, Council, and Presidents of Wards were present. Instruction was given on the several duties devolving on us all, and punctuality to be enforced. A boy named Prior who misbehaved in the galley today was tried and requested to apologize to the Council and Captain, but refused to do so. A smart breeze broke up on us today, a kind of storm, the vessel shipped some sea, sails were taken down, when she passed gallantly over the wave.

Thursday 26th. Sickness continues on board, but nothing having the appearance of a serious nature-save a young man named Joseph Elliott, son of Priest James Elliott, who seems to be a state of fever. He was attended to by Elder Lamoreaux. He was removed from his berth to his father's in order that more attention could be paid him. On the whole the Saints appear better. The wind unfavorable, and a heavy sea rolling. Today when in a strong breeze, the sea heavily rolling and the ship tossing, a sudden calm came and the wind ceased in an instant to blow which caused the vessel to lurch and roll desperately. Indeed such a phenomenon has seldom occurred, and not known by the most experienced sailor on board. Had it occurred at night, it was the opinion of one in authority we must have lost a mast. The Captain visited the Saints and cheered them up with smiles and kind expressions.

Monday 30th. The wind blowing a splendid breeze today and fair. President Stevenson issued 494 yards of nankeen for wagon and tent covers today and the saints entered heartily and willingly into the duty. The poop deck was covered with sisters and brothers engaged cheerfully in sewing the covers and tents. It appeared quite a place of industry.

Wednesday, May 2nd. The sky still gloomy and several showers of rain fell with squalls. At 8 o'clock this morning Caradee Palmer Beynon age 11 months died of inflammation of the chest. Her parents were from Merthyr Tydfil, Wales. The child was consigned to the liquid tomb, after singing, and prayer by Elder Thomas Jeremy about half past two o'clock. A case was reported today of two sisters being mesmerized which was warmly denounced by Elder Stevenson and forbidden by him to be permitted amongst the Saints.

Thursday, May 3rd. The wind blowing favorably today and sickness abating rapidly. The Council meeting held today when Elder Sutherland, was honorably acquitted of a false accusation against his character. The guard kept up as usual. It might not be amiss to state the order of guard now kept on board. Sergeant Sutherland appoints three men, that is one for each hatchway for three hours during the night, thus relieved, and one man as corporal to walk round the ship to see that other guards are at their post. The men seem willing to stand watch and here I would state that one night President Stevenson, anxious to see that all the guards were on duty, walked around the Wards between decks and was taken up as a prisoner, until recognized. Today came into soundings on the banks of New Foundland.

Sunday 13th.  A glorious day. The sun shining in splendor, a perfect calm on the sea, not a ripple seen. Mother Cary's chickens sporting about us and a few caught by the boys. This is really a Sabbath at sea to suit a devout and a poetic mind. At 10 o'clock a meeting held on the poop deck and after the Saints were addressed by president Stevenson, he called on Elder W. G. Mills to deliver a discourse on the first principles of the gospel, for the benefit of those not in the Church which was attended to. The attention of the Saints was attracted to a small row boat on the waters which proceeded form a pilot boat in the distance. The pilot entered our ship, but he was for New York. The Saints much pleased to see new faces, of the appearance of fellow mortals. A meeting held again on deck at 2 o'clock which was addressed by President Stevenson on the work of the Latter-days--or the preparatory work to meet the Messiah as spoken of and testified to by the other Prophets and now established in fulfillment of the same. In the evening at 6 o'clock the meeting was privileged with the Sacrament of the Lord's Supper of which all the Saints partook.

Wednesday 16th. Wind ahead. A stiff breeze blowing. No sewing on deck today in consequence of the bad weather. A great many sick today. A lighthouse seen tonight. In consequence of many of the Saints being short of sugar and a great call for it, our President kindly issues out a portion of sugar which proved a blessing to the Saints.

Friday, 18th. Today provisions served out to the passengers. A very fine day and nearly calm. Today a pilot from Philadelphia came on board to the great joy of the Saints. The wind began to blow lightly and in a fair point. Land seen, and we make Cape May, and the Breakwater and Lighthouse. We pass beautifully up the river Delaware. Land on both sides, which cheers the hearts of the Saints. Duties and watching attended to as usual.

Saturday, 19th. About one o'clock this morning the wind being ahead we anchored about half ways up the river. The Saints sewing today. A small party, as we lay idly in the river, went ashore, under the direction of the Presidents and enjoyed themselves on terra firma for a short season, and visited two farmhouses. They brought with them a few fowl and eggs and milk, which were quite a treat to a few of the passengers.

Sunday, 20th. This morning meetings were held in various wards. The wards were amalgamated to suit convenience and President Stevenson visited and preached to Nos. 1 and 2 wards united in No. 1 Ward. Elder Slack preached to 3 and 4 wards. Elders T. Jeremy visited No. 5 and Elder Lamoreaux Nos. 6 and 7. A good spirit prevailed. The weather becoming mild and fine, a meeting was convened on the deck at three o'clock, and being a testifying meeting the Saints embraced the privilege and enjoyed themselves much. The steam tug came alongside and moored waiting for the morning to tow us up the river.

Monday, 21st. The steam tug took us in tow this morning about 9 o'clock in connection with the Parthenia, another emigrant ship, gladdened the hearts of the saints. The scenery was delightful to their eye. When off a creek, (Delaware City Creek), the Hawser from the tug to the Parthenia broke which drove her ashore, and our vessel might have come seriously in collision but for the promptitude of our Captain and pilot. She slightly touched her starboard stern. We were then taken in tow by the tug and brought farther up to the Wilmington creek where we anchored all night. Instructions were issued to all the wards, meetings were spirited, and all went on well.

Tuesday, 22nd. The cry of "Philadelphia" heard by many of the Saints while in their berths at 5 o'clock, as we came to anchor (having been towed) about 6 o'clock. The eyes and hearts of the Saints were gladdened. A Council meeting held this morning when President Stevenson gave some necessary counsel to be made known to the Wards, and the Councillors visited them as appointed, when the Saints evidenced a willingness to obey all counsel, and gratitude for the same. About ½ past nine the doctor came on board, all were assembled and passed us, thank God, no sickness amongst us. Both T. S. Fullmer and Brother Jeter Clinton visited us, as soon as we passed the Doctor. Meetings were convened to allow the Saints to have parting testimonies, and to keep them from being too much on deck.

God bless us all, good has been our lot and portion, blessings have attended us, for which we are grateful. 22 May 1855.

Emily Carlisle: Treasures of Pioneer History pg. 29-37 by Carter.

History #2

C:\Documents and Settings\Jones\My Documents\FAMILY HISTORY\Jones FH\001-031\002.wpd


Jeremy, Thomas Evans

Edwards (Jr.), John Lodwick

Jones, Margaret


No comments.