Phillips, Jonah - Journal


Jonah Phillips, the son of Nathaniel Phillips and Phebe Evans was born 18th Dec. 1831 in the town Llanboidy, Carmarthenshire, South Wales.

Three months after my birth I was given out to nurse, and to be brought up in the family of William and Martha Phillips. And when I was about 6 years old, they moved away from the place where I was born, to a place called Pontyberem--where we stayed for 3 years. A new Iron Works had started here.

We next moved to a place called Cwn Cwrech in Glamorgenshire [sic], where we stayed about two years. Our family was a large one numbering 13 children of sons and daughters.

In the year 1842 we moved to Cifin some 16 miles distant. Here was another New Establishment for the manufacture of Iron. Here we stayed till work slacked and finally stopped--and then we moved to a place called Croegy Drwfa, 3 miles from Swansey [sic]. While here my brother David got married to a young lady living in Swansey [sic], where they settled down and made a home. This was a serious drawback for our family, for he was the best boy father had at that time to work, being in steady employment--most of the children were small and had no steady work. Next my sister Hannah was married to one Griffid John, or Gito Mark his nickname. They lived in Morristown. He was a drunkard which caused trouble for our family, but he was splendid workman [sic] in the copper business. Griffid John died in Morristown 10th Oct. 1865.

My uncle David Phillips died at Morristown. He was a brother to my adopted mother, leaving a wife and 3 children to mourn his loss. He had been a taylor by trade, and his two sons, the eldest and youngest continued in the business.

In the year 1845 my adopted father moved to Uniselfon Parrish place Cwn Cwrach where we had been living before, and there I commenced to work---my employment was on the top of a blast furnace with my brother Thomas. After work there for some time I left the place and went to digging coal, and while there in this business my sister Naney got married to James Hughs, a man from Pamrockshire [sic]. Work was not hard to get, but James passed for half brother to William Hughs, and continued afterwards to hold the name, though his real surname was not Hughs, but I do not now remember his correct surname, although well acquainted with him before and after his marriage. He died in the year 1863 according to my best recollection.

In Cwm-Cwrach I commenced to learn the blacksmith trade and worked at the business for 18 months. I then quit and went to dig coal again, working in the business for nearly 3 years--and afterwards worked in a foundry in that place, cleaning castings etc. In 1849 the place was visited by cholera, a plague that destroyed many lives.

In the spring of 1850 we all moved to Aberdare and worked at coal digging--and while there I joined the church of J. C. of L. D. Saints on 25th of March 1854. Soon after this I was taken sick and continued so for over three months, and while sick my adopted father William Phillips and I went on a journey about 4 miles to a place called Ceven-Coed Cemer to see Doctor Richard Pethrow--and there I was cured of my sickness of affliction but it took some 5 months before I was fully well, during which time I visited the doctor occasionally and while doing so, I informed the doctor that my father lived in this place, giving his name. He seemed astonished to hear this and said he would talk to him the first chance he got and accordingly did so and said that I would be to his house on a certain Sabbath day. So on Sabbath morning when on my way to see the doctor, I saw a man standing on a hill above the road--we approched [sic] each other bidding each other good morning, when I walked on, but he called to me and inquired my name saying, "I am not certain whether you are the man I think you are or not." I said to him, "try and see", when he called my name. I then replied, "I do not know your name." Then he said "I am close kin to you. I said to him, "I have been informed that my father lived in this place; when he said. "I am the man, your father". Then we heartily shook hands (although as strangers to each other). He then invited me and I went to his home with him, where I saw my stepmother with her many large and small children, for the first time in my life.

Soon after (a neighbor) and old gentlemen [sic] came in who said to my father, "I see you have found your lost son." When he replied, "I have", and to my shame; knowing that he had neglected to look after of do anything for me from my childhood up to this time. My father asked me if I had seen my own mother or remembered her and I said not and also other questions. After a short visit I returned home to my adopted father and mother William and Martha Phillips in Aberdare, telling them of my visit, and the finding of my own father, etc., which caused them to rejoice.

I visited my father and step-mother, several times after this, and was cordially received; and my step-mother gave me a black silk handkerchief to remember her by, before starting for America.

In the summer of 1855 I took an excursion train to St. Clair, near my birthplace, with two of my brothers-in-law, Phillips and John P. Davis. The last named now (1884) lived at Mill Creek, Salt Lake County, Utah. While sitting in the Fox and Hound Public House, a postman came in, a stranger to me, and in course of conversation, I asked him if he was going to Ridycased, (the place where my Grandfather, George Evans lived) and he said yes; and he still further informed me that an Aunt of mine lived near by here. Some one soon offered to go and inform her that I was here, and did so, when she immediately came to see me, though we were perfect strangers to each other. She informed me as well as she could where my mother lived.

In Feb. 1856, I started out to find my mother (according to direction given to me by a cousin of mine) and went to the town of Carmartan [sic], and passed through it going about one and a half miles further on, to a farm house, called Wein Corgan, inquiring as I went for my mother Phebe. Some persons on the road asked me if she were any kin to me; and I said she was my Aunt. One Man, a mason at the house where she lived, told me she was out at work at the next farm at thrashing grain. So I went down there to see her, and there we had a conversation for the first time in our lives, and to her astonishment, as she never expected to see me again when I was put out to nurse. After a short conversation, not to exceed half an hour, in which she treated me coldly; as her husband, my step-father had never been informed of my birth and the knowledge of which she feared might bring her into trouble. After leaving her, the same day I saw my half sister going home from school on my return, not knowing her, but was informed of the fact by a lady going into town, and while in town I saw another half sister named Sophia, the wife of William Wooxley, one of the town policemen.

On the next morning I took the train to St. Clair--from there to Ridycased, 3 miles distant, and there saw my Grandmother, Martha [record says Mary] Evans, for the first time. She was 80 years of age, had a wooden leg and was feeble. She was introduced to me by my Aunt Elizabeth whom I had visited the year previous and now living with her. I stayed with them all night and next day. They told me that I was born in this house, belonging to my Grandmother. My visit to them was for the purpose of gathering up genealogical facts, and to see them for the last time before my intended departure for America. I returned to my adopted father's house, and reported my visit as here stated. My Grandfather Acwilla Phillips, on my father's side resided at Acwilla Phillip Cafenbrale.

On the 14th of April 1856 I left Aberdare and went to Liverpool, and on the evening of 17th of April, we left Liverpool on the ship S. Curling bound for Boston. (A Sail Ship with 750 passengers on board).

The second day out we lost sight of the Welch [sic] mountains and Ireland. It was pleasant weather nearly 5 days, then rough and wind, snow, and rain. Much sea-sickness on board; and after having been 35 days on the Ocean we landed in Boston on the P.M. 22nd of May.

And on the 26 of May in the morning we left Boston on a railway train, passing through Worcester and Springfield Mass.--Thence on through Albany, N.Y. to Buffalo--thence along the Lake Erie shore line through Toledo and Cleveland, Ohio, to Chicago, thence across Illinois to Rock Island on the Mississippi, where we stayed over Sunday--thence across the river to Davenport by steamer, as the bridge had been burned down. The company of Saints after corssing in the morning went on ahead, and I was one of the number left to assist in moving the luggage here. Another was Bro. Sinnett now residing at Spanish Fork. We followed on after them at evening, and all of us got to Iowa City on or about the 1st of June. We then moved out about one and one-half miles to a camping ground among other companies, proparatory [sic] to moving Westward. Capt. Dan Jones had charge of the Welch [sic] Company and others that had arrived this day by the railway train. Other missionaries were on the camp grounds that were returning from Europe. The companies of L. D. Saints this year were the first that had ever traveled by railroad on landing in America. After stopping about 9 days at this camp place, Edmund Ellsworth called for volunteers to go with the 1st hand cart company going to Utah, and I was on hand with Thomas and Benjamin Lloyd, William Yeaw, and George Napras. A company was organized of about 250 persons, and we left Iowa City camping ground the 9th day of June. In passing along through Iowa with our handcarts people stared, and seemed astonished to see us. We had with us only 3 or 4 teams of oxen and mules for our large company to carry provisions, and sick persons, if any. Henry Moss was the driver to our mule team, and after we arrived in Utah, he resided in Springville, and was a clerk for Bishop A. Johnson until his death in 1859. Some 5 or 6 families left the company before we got out of Iowa at Newton, Yankee town and other places. On the 4th of July we stopped and celebrated the day.

About 16 days after we came to the Missouri River and crossed on a ferry boat, a little above the place called Winter Quarters, and then down into it, where we stayed over a week. On 26th of July we moved about 4 miles and crossed the Big Blue River, where we stayed one day to reorganize the company, purchase some cows, and prepare for crossing the plains. About the 10th of Aug. we came to the North Platte, and there got amoungst [sic] the buffaloes, traveling among them for two or three days--they seemed quite tame, and their numbers appeared almost innumerable. After killing 12 or 13 buffaloes, and using their meat for a few days sickness commenced in our camp, so that we had to stop about two days, and then we only moved on slowly. When about 100 miles East of Laramie we had a heavy rain storm with lightning and thunder--the lightning killed one man named Edward Walker. Three other persons fell down just in front of me being shocked by it as we were going along. Bro. Walker left a wife, who had a son in Salt Lake City.

Next day after this event we came in sight of Chimney Rock, and traveled near two days before we came opposite to it. Then we passed through much smoke caused by a preceding company setting fire to brush and grass. We now felt anxious to reach Laramie, being both weary and short of provisions. Soon after we crossed the Platte River and camped, when several went to the Laramie Post or settlement and bought some provisions. Flour cost $21.00 per hundred--cornmeal $14.00 and Bacon 20 c. per lb. Here I spent the last dollar I had for provisions. George Napras was my mate at this time in pulling a cart, and before we got to the Sweetwater river he took sick and died. He was buried at our first camp ground on the bank of the Sweetwater river. We traveled up this stream , and came to the Pacific Springs about Sept. 10th, where we have [sic] a severe snow and rain storm. Here I was called out on guard to keep our cattle from straying off in the storm. From this on nothing very particular occurred except that we camped at night at Green River, and another at Ft. Bridger, where Lewis Robinson of Utah was staying. He killed a beef ox for our company. Here we were entertained with a good dance. From this on cattle got foot sore causing us to move slow. At Bear River we stayed a day to rest the cattle. Camped on Weber river where we ate our last provisions, and at noon was at the foot of the Big Mountain. This was Sept. 26th and we crossed over it, camping between the two mountains. There we received some supplies from Salt Lake City for that evening, but as I was on guard up to 12 o'clock at night I got nothing to eat till released. After crossing the little mountain, great preparations were made by our company to salute Pres. B. Young and those with him by a tune from our Brass Band, and others sung the Hand Cart song--after which Pres. B. Young invited his company to bring out their bread and cheese, and be liberal with what they had. Said that they had come to meet, cheer, and congratulate us who would be the first of Pioneer Hand Cart Company into Salt Lake City, and who had come up through many tribulations. From here into the city we were piloted by the Salt Lake City Brass Band and our Band with them and camped in Union Square in front of Dimick Huntington's on the evening of 27th Sept. 1856. The same day Dan Mc Arthur's and Spicer W. Crandal's hand Cart Company got here too, and camped with us. Pres. B. Young requested the various Bishops to see that the wants of these companies be supplied while here. After 3 days I left the Camping ground and went to board in the 16th ward with an old lady the wife of D. Daniel, who is now on a mission in Wales. My long journey being over, I felt to rejoice much in meeting with kind saints to welcome with no home. At Public works I found employmenet at Blacksmithing with Jonathan Pugmire, from 15th Oct. to 30th Dec. 1856 and then was discharged on account of the works freezing up. On 20th Jan. 1857 I moved to Winslow Farr's on Little Cottonwood, and stayed with him till April Conference. Soon after this I went to the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon with Solomon Angel to quarry granite rock for the Salt Lake City Temple at $2.00 a day and paid him $3.5 per week for board. On the 24th of July I received a ticket in common with others invited, and went to the head of Big Cottonwood Canyon, where a large party of Three to Four Thousand people had assembled to celebrate the day. And near sunset Porter Rockwell arrived with the news that Johnson's Army had started to come to Utah. Had speeches and dances and we stayed there all night, returning next morning.

While at work at the Stone quarry, got acquainted with two stone cutters Horance M. Alexander and Henry Packard from Springville. I continued working at the quarry till about the middle of Nov. when I was called among others to go to Echo Canyon, to defend our homes against Johnson's Army. I went to George Woodward's company from 8th Ward S. L. City where I stayed about a month, then I was released to come in on furlough and stayed with Doc Ezekiel Lee in Holladay Settlement on Little Cottonwood, after which on the 6th of April 1858 I was called to return to Echo, going there under Capt. Durt. From Echo we moved over Last Creek Canyon, and fortified it against the Army. We started for S. L. City about the last day of May, a little before the U. S. Army were allowed to come in.

I then went and found Doctor Lee, who was about ready to roll out with his team, and go South in Common with others, in the Great Move South; and went with him. The first night we camped at Willow Creek; the second at Springville, and the third night in Payson, where he remained. I returned to Spanish Fork and made a stop with Thomas Loyd [sic], one of my comrades in the Hand Cart Company, and with him made adobies until Pres. Young thought proper to open a road into Provo Valley. I then went there to work in a company, among whom was John Spragoue and John Wakeham (both Shoemakers) receiving home currency for pay. Here we stayed over a month; and then I went with the two shoemakers to Camp Floyd, and worked chopping cord wood for them at $40.00 per month and board; staying about six weeks.

I then went in company with Nathaniel Edmonds and David Bowen. We took a contract to cut and deliver 500 cords of Cedar Wood at $6.00 per cord to Captain Turnley, Goverment Quarter Master of Camp Floyd. This job took us till next March 1859.

I then left Camp Floyd and went to Springville and boarded with Rees W. Davis; and in company with him did some farming on the New Survey (as it was called) aboaut 3 miles west of Springville. Also worked around for others occasionally.

In the winter of 1859 and 1860 I crossed Utah Lake and cut cedar wood which I hauled home to Springville and sold.

In April 1860 I commenced to work for William Douglass and David Clark, at my trade of Blacksmithing, and worked one year at 40 cents per day and board with washisng and lodging included, and worked very hard. In April 1861 I agreed to continue on with the same terms except with a change of from 40 cents to 60 cents per day. But sometime in Aug. Douglass sold out here and moved to Salt Lake City. I however continued to work on for about 2 months longer.

On the last day of Aug. 1861 Julia A. Harrington arrived in Provo from her Journey [sic] across the plains, accompanied by her three sons-in-law Arba L. Lambson, Charles and Thomas Avery with their families of sons and daughters, and also their hired man [sic] and women. One of whom was Ann Thomas in Charles Avery's family, that I got acquainted with, and who soon after became my wife.

On 26th Oct. 1861 we were married in Springville at the house of Samuel Parrish (3rd Ward) by bishop Aaron Johnson. After our marriage we lived with Daniel S. Thomas for about six weeks. In the Fall of 1860 I bought a house and lot of Horace Clark for $60.00, which I now fixed up and moved into it. During the fall and winter of 1861-62 I worked off and on at blacksmithing with Ira Sanford on W. H. Spafford's City lot on Main Street. In the Spring of 1862 I moved into a shop across the street owned by I. S. Wood, and worked for W. M. Bromley who had rented the shop. Soon after we had high water that washed away several houses, and other things--damaging several city lots.

In the spring of 1863 near the close of the war of the Rebellion in the States I went to work blacksmithing for Arba L. Lambson at $2.50 per day; he having bought the machinery and shop of Sidney Roberts on Main Street. I worked for Arba over 3 years.

In 1864 I bought a yoke of oxen of W. J. Stewart for $125.00 and an old wagon of Arba L. Lambson for $36.00 and during the summer did some farming and occasionally worked in the blacksmith shop for Lambson. In 1865 I received a letter from Jacob Thomas, my father-in-law in Wales, stating the death of his daughter Phebe who died Feb. 24, 1865 and buried in Gollyonen Church. Also a letter from my adopted father, William Phillips, of the death of my adopted mother who died June 13, 1860, Age 63 years, and buried in the New Church Cemetary [sic] Aberdare Glamorganshire, South Wales.

This year 1865 I did some farm work, also rock hauling for Arba Lambson to pay for my wagon and likewise some shop work. In 1866 I did some farm and also blacksmith and work about home. In 1867 I did farm and team work--the price of grain was very low. On Dec. 14th this year my adopted father died, age 74 years. This was sorrowful news to us.

1868 was engaged in farming and occasionally did some odd jobs for others and also did some work at the blacksmith trade. Daniel I. Thomas made me some adobies and I built a small house which kept me very busy; had to much to do, yet succeeded in moving into it before the end of the year. On the 2nd of January 1869 a company of 25 four mule teams started out of Springville on a trip to work for the Central Pacific Railroad on contact to haul ties for Carter and Marshall. Among the company were John S. Phillip N. Boyer, J. W. Deal's boys, Stephen Grossbeck and others, W. H. Carter and I went with them to do the blacksmithing. Our destination was 200 miles north west of Salt Lake City. On the 10th of January the snow was from 2 to 3 feet deep where we camped but next day on going 6 miles beyond to our final camp ground or end of our journey we found no snow which caused the whole company to rejoice much. Each team received ten dollars per day's work at hauling of ties.

I returned home in March and found all well--the ground dry and ready for farming and soon went to plowing.

The cooperative stores started this year, and I put on a share to start with under Superintendent Wm. N. Bromley from which I bought a set of blacksmith tools for $125.00 dollars to be paid in grain and blacksmith work. Dec. 7th 1869 Lydia Avery died--she was an old acquaintence [sic] of my wife, crossing the plains with her. In 1870 January 30th I received a letter from Wales stating that my Uncle Jonah Evans and his wife Margaret were dead. Each were near 80 years of age according to the best information. They were buried in the Baptist Cemetery. The meeting house is Called Carselam.

During the summer, this year I worked in Wm. M. Bromley's log blacksmith shop, near his dwelling house, and also carried on Farm work this season. This year 1870 I bought a share in Provo Factory, receiving $50,000 from William Bringhurst and $50,000 from Milan Packard to make the share.

Nov. 3rd Arba L. Lambson died while on a visit in the states [sic].

In 1871 I worked in an old log house blacksmithing on the co-op half acre lot owned by William Brighhurst fronting on the State road. I put in a forge, began work but it was a smoky place and very unhealthy. On the first of July I bought a piece of ground of Aaron Johnson and paid him $25.00 cash by Nov. 29th. July 9th engaged a bill of lumber of Davis and Dearden working at W illiam Brighurst's and Packard's Steam Saw Mill and had it paid for by 30th of Dec.

In 1872 I continued to work for Davis and Dearden and when we settled I received a cow on their indebedness [sic] to me, after which they left for Fillmore. On the 5th of March this year I finished paying Newman Bulkley $60.00 for building my blacksmith shop on the land bought of ex-Bishop Aaron Johnson where I have worked till the present time 1885. In 1872 I did considerable work for the Steam Saw Mill Co. and others.

1873 July 1st received $10.00 cash of John Alleman Jr. and did considerable blacksmith work during this year for Thomas Harward and others. On the 5th of Aug. my daughter Martha Jane died after a severe sickness of 8 months of the dropsy--we had several doctors but could not save her.

1874 Commencing April 17th I did blacksmith work for George Mason, this to the amount of $43.87. Also for George Horton, receiving cash and store pay.

1875 Commencing Feb. 19th to the end of the year did considerable work for Geo. Horton while he was peddling at East Canyon receiving many dollars of him. This year my work for John Mason came to $14.25. In the month of May this year I pre-empted 40 acres of land South of our city in the Clay bed. In the month of October I made my final proof at the land office--Salt Lake City--and next year built a house on the 40 acre tract. This year I commenced to build a stable granary and barn; all under one roof and finished the same in 1877. Bought my lumber of Charles H. Williams who sawed it at his water mill in Canyon.

1877 In the spring David King moved into my house on my 40 acre farm, renting it of me. He raised a good crop and did well.

1878 In the spring Lewis Scott Barnet rented the house and part of the land of my 40 acre farm, and while on it he worked on the Utah and Pleasant Valley Railroad laying rails from the Utah southern Depot into and through our city, and on 17 Sept. the Iron Horse made its first appearance in our city. On 17th Jan. this year I began to work for James E. Hall and C. H. Williams, and for many others during the summer and fall.

1879 Worked for Benjamin Alleman and others. John Alleman thrashed grain for me this year. The toll wheat, oats and barley amounted to $20.80---in all 425 bushels. The Railroad was completed in Pleasant Valley and in November they delivered coal in our city.

1880 I worked for the Narrow Gage R.R. Co. and through all the time of track laying. In the month of Sept. and Oct. the grading was done from here to Provo and the rails by the last of Nov. were laid. I worked for the contractors Deremas and Smith sharpening picks and other tools, making the wrenches for the track laying and worked for others of my old customers during the year. Also considerable blacksmithing for the outfit of 60 teams that went to Colorado to do Railroad work. Also had a brick house built the latter part of this year.

1881 R. F. Brinton did my carpentar [sic] work on the new house in and outside, and in March finished plastering up stairs. Attended to my plowing in the spring. Hired Geo. A. Mason to assist me doing work (blacksmith) in return. We also exchanged work next season.

1882 Did considerable blacksmithing in Jan. Mar. Apr. and July for E. A. Clark.

1883 I worked for Alma Spafford off and on through the year, also for Nephi Packard to the amount of $13.50 and farm work during the summer, and in the fall had 500 bushels of grain.

Springville, November 5th, 1883

A blessing given by patriarch John Smith upon the head of Jonah Phillips, son of Nathaniel Phillips and Phebe Evans born in Llanboidy, Carmarthenshire, South Wales, December 18th, 1831.

Bro. Jonah, by virtue of the Holy Priesthood, I place my hands upon thy head and seal the blessing of thy Father upon thee with also the blessings of the New and Everlasting covenent [sic], for they are thine through right of lineage, and by obedience to the gospel. And I say unto thee, seek wisdom, knowledge, and understanding, that you may know the will of the Lord concerning thee, for thy guardian angel has brought thee from thy native land to partake of the blessings in Zion; do a work for thy kindred and secure unto thyself a name and place among the Saints.

Live up to thy privileges, and thy pathway shall be made clear-thy duty shall be made known; and thou shalt become a Saviour among thy kindred; for thou art the only legal heir to this privilege, holding the Priesthood. Be diligent and it shall be well with thee, for thou art of the blood of Joseph, and shall receive thy blessings in the tribe of Ephraim, which is the lineage of some of thy forefathers who have gone behind the veil. And I say unto thee be firm, and look forward to the future with a prayerful heart; strive to do good and thou shalt be prospered in the labor of thy hands, and the blessings of the Lord shall attend thee; and thy name shall be handed down with thy posterity in honorable rememberance; therefore be comforted, for better days await thee; [sic] This blessing with the blessings of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob I seal upon thee through thy faithfulness in the Name of Jesus Christ, and I seal thee up unto eternal life to come forth in the morning of the first resurrection. Even so. Amen.

Springville, November 4th 1883

A blessing given by Patriarch John Smith upon the head of Theophillus Acwilla Phillips, son of Jonah and Ann Phillips, born in Springville, Utah County, Utah Territory Friday December 26th 1879.

Theophilus Acwilla, thou art in thy youth and need instruction, and I say unto thee, grow up in grace and in the knowledge of the Truth, be taught of thy parents the way of life and salvation, for thou art numbered with the sons of Zion, and it is the will of the Lord, that you should be an instrument in his hands in doing such good. The angel who was given thee at thy birth will not forsake thee, but will whisper in thine ear; warn thee of danger and give thee power over ovil [sic] and unclean spirits, if thou will listen to the whisperings of the monitor within thee, and thou shalt become a mighty man in Israel. Therefore as you grow in years grow in widsom, and the blessings of the Lord shall attend thee, and thou shalt be wise in Counsel, and valiant in the defense of Truth and Virtue. Thou art of Ephraim, and entitled to the blessings of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob; therefore live up to thy privileges, and no power shall prevail against thee. Thou shalt fill up the measure of the creation, and thy name shall be honorable in the land. The gift of healing shall be thine, through prayer and faith; therefore remember that there is a God in Israel, who will hear and answer the prayers of the honest. And it shall be well with thee both here and hereafter. This blessing I seal upon thy head in the name of Jesus Christ, and I seal thee up unto Eternal Life, to come forth in the morning of the First Resurrection, A saviour in the Father's House. Even so. Amen.

1884 We continued our farming business and raised over 400 bushels of grain. Worked in my Blacksmith shop for James Sumsion, and also for William Sumsion, nearly every month in the year. In the spring this year I sold a cow and some wood to Mr. Beasley in Provo for 10,000 brick, and paid for the hauling home in Blacksmithing which work I had done some time previous; and these old debts were hard to collect any other way; also bought 3,000 feet of lumber paying for it mostly in blacksmith accounts.

My half brother, Thomas Phillips, wrote to me in April this year stating that he was born in April 1839 and His [sic] wife in July 1842. They have had eight children born to them four boys and four girls. Only one boy is now living, age 7 years, and two of the girls--one 14 and the other 17.

My step-mother Ann Phillips wrote to me in July this year 1884 stating that my father Nathaniel Phillips died June, 1858, in Ceven-coed-Cimar, South Wales, and that she was born 25th December 1811, and their children are as follows:

Phoebe Phillips Born 1833 and Died April 1852
Daniel Phillips Born July 1835
Sarah Phillips Born 14 June 1841
Acwilla Phillips Born 1846 and died July 29, 1849
Lewis Phillips Born 16 March 1849
Mary Phillips Born 1854
Thomas Phillips and family are stated above

I received a card in a letter from William Woosley in 1876 (who had married my half sister) which I insert here as follows:

The following are the children of William and Sophia Woozley.

Father:--William Woozley Born 14th July 1824
Mother:--Sophie Woozley " 14th Sept 1823
James Adams Woozley " 31st May 1843
William Woozley " 14th March 1844
Davis Adams Woozley " 1st Oct. 1846
Amelia Woozley " 20th June 1849
Sophia Woozley " 28th May 1851
Hanna Raton Woozley " 5th Dec. 1853
Mary Ann Woozley " 28th Sept. 1856
John Katen Manton Woozley " 14th April 1860
Elizabeth Woozley " 14th July 1863

1885I was at the funeral of Abran Child, son of Thomas Child, [sic] A daughter of Wm. J. Stewart was buried the same day. Jan. 29th I had quite an argument with my oldest son J. T. Phillips, on using slight bells at a funeral. On the 30th was trying to get a patent for William Harrison's land by the D. & R. G. Railway. Attorney Marsh agreed to deliver the Patent, $10.00, at 11 o'clock. I was called to go with E. Lee and Jesse Fox to the boundary line between Spanish Fork and Springville--Boundary at Dry Creek Bridge of Utah Central Railway, and the line 800 feet North of the bridge, running 45 degrees from the boundary rock on the State Road south of John Dallin's Brewery.

Feb. 5th. Attended Fast Day Meeting and to grubbing on the farm in P.M.

Feb. 6th. Attended the funeral of sister Cranmer. In the P. M. met Bishop Smoot in the Font House on business in regard to the Jordan Dam, the treaty between Salt Lake and Utah Counties.

Feb. 5th 1885 I shod one span of horses for William Sumsion. In the P. M. attended the funeral of Alex Robertson's wife who died on giving birth to a child which is still alive.

Mar. 2nd With Romanzo Deal and O. B. Huntington as commissioners by appointment of City Council, we commenced to act and divide and locate the water ditches in District No. 4 according to the ditches on the South Sect. leading into the West Field as deputy water master, assisting the general water master, Edwin Lee. We measured off 20,780 feet in one day. After this we divided up the same in different land holders, which took us two days--which we gave general satisfaction.

We did some farming in April and a little in May and on the 5th of May commenced to build our brick house, finishing the walls on the 20th. Thomas Child doing the mason work which amounted to $70.00. E. P. Brinton doing the carpenter work commencing in June. At the close of the month there came a delay for the want of material, but the job was finished up and ready for plastering in Sept. which work was done by Walter Wheeler and Samuel Tow--then followed some carpenter work-- The plasterers returned Nov. 10th and soon had their job done which amounted to $50.00. The carpenter job amounted to $130.00.

Our threshing work was done by John Alleman on 22nd Aug. and we had in wheat, oats, and barley 564 bushels, which took much hard labor to produce. We also raised this year 500 bushels of potatoes and 50 tons of hay, paying off our mechanics and laborers out of this crop raised this year.

1886 We did very little work in Jan. on account of cold weather. The forepart of Feb. was very fine, when my son J. T. Phillips went to work for Mr. Jones at Mill Fork, Spanish Fork Canyon hauling cord wood to be shipped to the Provo Asylum, at $1.25 per day, working on to near the 1st of April. About the 17th of Feb. we commenced to plow, and had three teams going. Our own with B. T. Blanchard's and Henry Roylance teams. Got in 4 acres of wheat in good condition when a storm came.

My son, Gomer, coming home from Spanish Fork, his horse fell with him near 2nd Ward School house spraining his ankle badly, so he had to use crutches for about six weeks. Joseph Waters was with him at the time of the accident and assisted him home. This was in the month of January.

March was very wet and so we did no plowing till in April. We finished getting in our grain by the 8th of May and had our corn and potatoes in by the 10th. In May sent a letter my wife's sister, Mary W. Williams, Emporia Lyon Co. Kan. (P.O. Box 242).

1886 On the 11th and 12th of May worked in the shop--among other work shod a span of hores for B. T. Blanchard and worked at fitting out a crowd of men going to Blackfoot in Montana, to haul cord wood at $5.00 delivered.

Evening of 12th, at Bishop's court, at Bishop's Packard's house as a witness on the case between C. C. Miner and his brother Moroni Miner in regard to a ditch running through the latter's pasture.

May 13th worked in shop and shod 3 horses for William Marian Coffman and other work. 15th--cleaning ditch in our meadow. 15th sent D. News to Emporia Kansas. 17th did a hard day's work watering my meadow. 18th and 19th at work in shop. 20th went to Provo grist mill and watering city lot. Then 2 1/2 days in shop working up to noon. 23rd at 5 P. M. commenced watering wheat which took 24 hours. 25th, I sent the pay for the Welch [sic] paper at Utica, N. Y. for 1885. The boys watered 80 acres in May and had in 5 acres of corn.

June 12th we had a light rain storm in the night which cooled the atmosphere, which had been very hot and sultry for over 3 weeks past. Worked in the shop from 15th to 20th, and 21st and 22nd in field hoeing at corn. On the 23rd we stopped half day to attend the Sunday School Jubilee at Durfee's Grove where we enjoyed ourselves much.

July. On the 2nd we went to Provo to the grist mill and on my return attended the funeral of Cornelius Van Leuvan, who had been blind about 10 years, and was 81 years old at his death. On the 3rd to funeral of G. B. Matson's son who died at Ashley's Fork, 125 miles east, and brot [sic] home in a wagon.

On the 4th was at John Evan's in Spanish Fork--met some of my old friends, and had a sociable time. 5th we finished watering our small grain. Had a letter from Mary W. Williams, (wife's sister) in Kansas which brought some important news in regard to the family. Our mowing was done this month from the 5th to the 31st.

August finished harvesting grain on the 9th and placed reaper in the shed. 11th shod a horse for P. Houtz, and attended Joseph Kelley's Funeral in P. M. (an old resident who came here in 1852) Much lamenting and mourning by the children and friends. The next 4 days I worked in the shop.

Sun. 15th Second Quorum of Deacons took charge of Meeting house--I was present. There are now 5 quorums--each has charge for one week. I have charge of the first quorum. 16th, in the field watering lucerne. 16th and 17th in the shop shoeing horses. The report is that a company is going from here to work on a railroad in Colorado, and 60 teams went from here on the 24th in charge of William Sumsion and Crandall Bros. which obliged me to work very hard in repairing scrapers, tools and shoeing for them.

We thrashed our grain on the 28th--had 240 bushels oats and 246 of wheat. Same 30th at shop and set tire for William Brammell and others.

September. During this month I worked very hard in shop and field. On 21st we had some threshing done in the fields. 180 bushels wheat and Barley. On 23rd was at Provo grist mill with wheat, as our mill is under repair by Millwright St. Clair. For work on the mill this month I received $25.00. On the 17th Sillah was confined to her bed, sick with typhoid fever and laid in her bed for four weeks.

October. On the 7th I attended the Funeral of Julia Harrington, age 85, with whom my wife crossed the plains in 1861.

A fair was held in the city hall which lasted four days closing on the 8th--admittance 10 cents. A concert followed for the children. From the 8th to the 26th worked in my shop and had one week of wet weather in which very little work was done. 26th shucking corn and attended the funeral of sister Wiscombe--wife of James Wiscombe--and to my surprise I heard the son preach his mother's funeral discourse, upon the hand-dealing of God to her, and her hardships in the gospel, and hopes under all circumstances, and her counsels to her family, on her dying bed, and to the last moment sensible--and on the same night I sat up as watcher in the sick-room el Eliza Crandall who was sick with typhoid fever--daughter of Mary Branagan who crossed the Atlantic in the Sail Ship S. S. Curling in the year 1856, where I became acquainted with her. We crossed the plains the same year and both of us arrived in Salt Lake City on the 27th of Sept. 1856. Spicer W. Crandall returned from his mission same year, assisting McArthur who was capt. of the 2nd company handcarts. Afterwards they married and had 8 children (boys and girls) born to them.

November. 1st I attended the funeral of Grandmother Alleman, an old settler in Springville. 2nd I worked in shop for several customers. 3rd Eliza Crandall died after a short sickness of typhoid fever, causing much gloom over the place among the young boys and girls. On the 5th I worked in shop and mended a buggy for H. H. Groesbeck for going to the funeral of Eliza which I attended. Much respect was shown by the large turnout. The casket was carried from the house to the cemetery by 12 young men with crepe on their arms as emblems of mourning. Same was Harriet Knight's funeral, age 70 years.

On the 8th my daughter Mary Ann was confined to her bed with typhoid fever and kept me at home all that week to attend her.

On the 15th I attended the funeral of F. C. Boyer's son, Francis who died in Colorado of the mountain fever at Glen-wood Springs, 90 miles from Grand Junction where he had been at railroad work for Crandall Bros. Was brought home on the train. It was a very cold and stormy day and so there was not a woman present at the funeral.

16th. My wife was very sick in attending on Mary Ann and Sillah day and night. The latter is now getting better fast. After which my wife was confined to her bed for 2 weeks and also my daughter Phebe. At this time Mary Ann was getting better and able to get around and wait on her mother and Phebe. My wife's sickness did not prove to be a fever, but Phebe had the fever and laid in bed till the 21st of Dec. and in the kitchen on 25th, though unable to work.

Dec. 26th, Bro. John Evans of Spanish Fork with his wife visited us. On the same day Mary Ann was confined to bed. 27th I went to the farm to move a shed and on my return found Mrs. Wing (who is a doctor) by her bedside on account of a change in her sickness to her heart and arms. I sat up all night with her as she was very sick. 28th, she threw up a large quantity of blood. 29th, to Provo for Dr. Pike who could not come on account of sickness there. Mary Ann died at 9 A. M. the 30th. At 3 P. M. 31st the funeral services took place. B. T. Blanchard directing and called on Geo. B. Matson to open service with prayer. P. H. Boyer offered remarks of comfort to the bereaved family. Followed by B. T. Blanchard. Benediction prayer by H. H. Packard, Jr.

The casket was removed to the cemetary in J. F. Brighurst's spring buggy followed by the family who expressed much grief at the parting with Mary Ann, never to be forgotten. She was age 24 years, 5 months, and 7 days.

January 1st 1887

The first day of January was a day of memory to me that I never forgot, and a day of lamentation. I just buried my oldest daughter Mary Ann. Taken most of my time to gather in many debts for the work done last year for my blacksmithing, to pay the expenses of the funeral $45.00. There was seven deaths on the 26th, William Wilscombes child was buried.

January 27th, I went to Father Haymonds funeral on a fair cold day. He was 85 years old an old settler left many sons, daughters and grand-children, to mourn his loss. The diphteria is in a rage in town. Two deaths of children. On the 19th the coop Gristmill started up after going through course of repair and new machinery and done some work on the mill. The mill made good flour.

January 28th, I worked in the shop and received order from Richard Low to work on the Tabernacle in Provo.

January 30th, I went to church and there was two home missionaries from Pleasant Grove, Bro. Brown, do not remember the other too. I had a text to preach, The Church of Christ Why so could be proven from the scriptures. In Sunday house in the elders Quorum Hall.

February 1st 1887, On the first and second day it was fair, fine with sunshine. Sickly weather and a great deal of sickness in town of Diphteria a dreaded disease.

February 4th, I went to W. Hunter child funeral.

February 6th I had charge of the meeting house as Deacon.

February 7th, Theophilus Acwilla was noticed being sick with Diphteria. On the 9th he was some what [sic] better. On the 9th N. H. Groesbeck came home from his mission, where he spent six months. The brass band turned out to welcome him home. The streets were lined with people and all made a good time. I worked in the shop that after noon [sic] for Phillip Mason Shoeing and mending wagon.

February 10th, Alzada was taken sick with Diphteria. Had a hard time with her throat. Sat up nights with her. On the 11th I worked in the shop. On the 12th, waited on the sick children by [sic] this time there was three sick. The 13th, was sabbath Day. There was two funerals. The wife of David Huntington, died from heart disease. The other George Giles, daughter 16 years old, died from Typhoid Fever and the relapse. On the 13th, I sat in the window with my daughter on my lap looking at the funeral passing by. Alzada was very sick, and died on the 19th, at 10 o'clock. It took all my time to care for the other children. Brother Thomas Child's opened by prayer and preached a short discourse. W. F. Wiscombe took charge of the funeral after some good remarks. Closed the services at home. Thomas Childs, offered the dedication prayer. I went to the funeral of Phoda Mason's child a boy. B. T. Blanchard offered the dedication prayer.

On Sunday 20th, I stayaed home all day, and the family on account of being exposed to Diphteria. On 21st, we hauled hay from the farm. The roads was [sic] very muddy. At night I met with the Elder's Quorum and spoke on Salvation of the name of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

March 6th, 1887 I went to Sister Cloakes, funeral, old lady 82 years old. Resident in the settlement.

March 7th, [sic] We commenced to work on the farm grubbing, scraping, kept on until the 9th. When we commenced plowing for wheat in the clay beds on lucern ground broken last fall. On 10th, we had a letter form Emporum Kansas with three pictures, mother, son and daughter husband with daughter the oldest 8 years, and wifes [sic] sister Mary Williams 50 years old. On 11th, we sowed grain, wheat on the lucern ground, Harrowed the same. Monday 14th, commenced to haul hay, sold to H. T. Reynolds amounting to nineteen thousand pounds at $6.50 per ton. On 15th, sold 17 hundred of potatoes at 75 cents per hundred. On 17th, I worked in the shop. On 19th, I grubbed in the field. On 20th, I was all day given [sic] notes on the record book.

March 21st 1887, I was in the field working digging cellar. On 22nd, I was at W. H. Huntington funeral, he was a old resident and there was a very large possession.

March 24th, worked in the shop for customers. On 25th worked on the farm digging the cellar. On 27th, I was well entertained in listening to a returned missionary, L. D. Crandall, of his divine experience in the field of labor.

March 28th, I worked in the shop for N. H. Groesbeck. Sharpening plow and wagon work.

April 1887, I worked in the field and in the shop. Still some sickness among the children sore throats. I closed a pasture of ten acres. Commenced to fence on the 17th, and closed on the 22nd of April in the clay beds. The old mare foaled on the 20th. On the 20th, I went to cleaning [sic] the ditch on the meadow. The 23rd, I worked in the shop, Sunday 24th, I went to Sabbath school with the children. In the afternoon news came of Benjamin Wheelers accident; killed by falling from a horse, according to the best knowledge of the accident. I went to the funeral on the 26th. The elders followed the hearse to the cemetary. 28th, worked in the shop shoeing F. C. Boyers, horse.

May 4th, 1887, I worked on the farm, and the 20th and 23rd, watered the wheat on the clay beds. 24th, My son J. T. Phillips, started to Colorado to work and J. S. Waters, leaves the farm in my hands. 27th, I worked in the shop. Sunday 28th, My [sic] children went to Sunday School. 29th, I worked on the shop. 30th, I worked on the farm getting ready for watering. 31st May, ticket called for water June 3rd.

June 4th, 1887, I worked in the shop for Milan Packard welding rod to make 65 ft. long to run hay forks in the barn. June 6th, Sunday and the afternoon was very windy. Went to the pasture to get the tarrow (Bull) I have been very busy watering and haying through the month of June. And work in the blacksmith shop for the company of men going to Colorado to work on the canal for Sumsion and Thorn. They contracted 30 miles to make. I have worked on the farm cutting weeds on side of Dry Creek. June 28 and 30th I worked in the shop for Wm. Coffman.

July 2nd, on Monday and the 4th I shod a horse for Henry Meneray went to the farm. In the after noon [sic] Abe Vondonsky shot John Wardsworth.

July 6th 1887, I was visited by water Master J. Maycock, H. Clark in L. H. Roundy, pasture; accused of taking the water unjust.

July 9th, was in the City Hall.

July 11, Attorney Therman, came over from Provo with the view of doing me and James Holley, on the water business. We were accused of taking the water without a ticket from the City water master. It was unlawful to use water without tickets.

July 12th, My son Gomer went to the canyon to brand hoses. Maria Leah was here and had [sic] been for four days.

July 19th, worked home commenced to harvest and cut the last on the 2nd day of August. Closed Harvesting of wheat, oats barley. After one month of hard labor commenced on the second crop of lucern.

August 12th, Commenced hauling grain, came a heavy rain and stopped hauling. August 15th, I worked in the shop shoeing hard all day for G. S. Wood, and Marion Coffman, Mrs. Sarah Strong and others. Some other work done on the same day.

August 15th, Started hauling grain and kept hauling for six days. Three hands making 18 days in all.

August 21st, was the Sabbath Day of rest, and it was well engaged with my work in the shop. Several days waiting for my turn to thresh.

August 26th, Part of my crop 340 bushel. August 27th, I paid 160 bushel of barley for a wagon to Boyer and Bringhurst. 28th, I started to work on the cellar, it was built in the field on the farm, hauling sand and lime.

September 1st, 1887, It was fast day, I tended to the meeting house same day. My son J. T. Phillips, arrived home from Colorado in good health.

September 6th, I went to Provo Grist Mill. My son worked and hauled corn and ploughed through the month; also Jacobon on to October. Commenced digging potatoes 532 bushels.

Oct. 10th. My oldest son J. T. Phillips went to Crag Canyon for J. E. Hall.

October 22nd, finished threshing 800 bushel of grain some lucern seed 6 bushel. Cost of day work, watering wheat and lucern amount to 25 days work harvesting and threshing hands 90 days.

October 4th, 1887. I was in John Falkners funeral. On the 5th, I went to conference. We had a good time and received instructions in conference. Now I worked in the shop part time and part time on the farm. Waiting for the masons to wall up the cellar. This ended the month.

December I worked in the shop part time. The weather was very cold confined most of my time doing chores around home.

December 25th, 1887. We had a surprise party, our family and John Evans family from Spanish Fork. The table was well spread with all manner of comforts at my wifes [sic] birthday of 48 years.

December 28th, We went to the Elders doings, in the Seventy's Elder Hall. Where [sic] we enjoyed ourselves in the best manner. The festable amounted to $48.88.

January 1, 1888. I had a telegram from Salt Lake City that John P. Davis, of Mill Creek was dead. Going to be buried on the 3rd, and I went to the funeral. There was great mourning and lamentation. The corpse was taken to Salt Lake City cemetary in a hearse. Four carriages to take friends and relatives. Leaves two wives nine children to mourn the loss of father. Two days the weather was rough and snowed 10 inches. On the third, the wind blew from the east. On the 4th, I came home from the funeral and heard of the death of O. M. Mowers, oldest son with diphteria. I was much suprised at the news.

January 10th, several of my neighbors called on Gomers [sic] birthday. The table was spread; had songs and amusement. It was delightful. The children were amused very much.

January 11th, I shod Erastus Thorns sleigh not much chance to sleigh ride. Very little work done in the month of January.

The month of February had fine weather. Considerable work done in this month.

The month of March was stormy. I wrote a letter to my Brother Levi, after two years of rest. Very little work done in March.

April there was a good deal of grain sowed. We had all ours sowed by the 20th. Our potatoe ground ploughed and put in by the 30th.

May 1st. My son J. T. Phillips went to Spanish Fork and David Davis to cut ties. On 3rd, that was fast day meeting. I had to water my meadows on Sunday. I had to tend to the meeting house as a Deacon of the Second Quorum.

May 7th, I cleaned ditch in the claybeds, and finished planting for the year.

May 8th, Queen had a colt while I was cleaning ditch to Roundy pasture.

May 9ath. I shod A. Roylance horses and others. 11th, cleaned ditch. 12th, watered lucern in the clay beds from Roundy Springs.

May 13th. Sunday, missionary preached.

May 14th. Monday I went to the grist mill to get a grist and they would not take wheat on account no water. From the 14th, I have been watering grain in the eight, night and day. I am tired.

On the 19th, I went to the following stream on Dry Creek and Nelson Jordan. Two pipes of three inches making quite a stream of water. On the Sabbath I went to meeting.

May 21st. I worked it [sic] the garden. 29th, I watered the lucern and the 30th.

June 5th, 1888. Watered wheat. June 7th, I went to Fast Meeting and Benjamin Averett was buried that same day.


We hereby certify that Jonah Phillips has been ordained an Elder in the Millstreet Aberdare Branch of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints of the E. Glamorgan Conference, under the hands of David A. Giles with the sanction of said Branch on the 17th day of January 1856.

Given under the hands, at Merthyn [sic] Tydfil this 11th day of April 1856.

Abednep L. Williams President.
Thomas Stephens Secretary.




Be it Remembered, that on the 3rd day of May, in the year of our Lord, one Thousand Eight Hundred and 71, Jonah Phillips late of __________________, in the kingdom of Great Britain Islands at present of Springville, Utah County, in the Territory aforesaid, appeared in the United States District Court of the first Judicial District, Utah Territory, and applied to the said Court to be Admitted to become a CITIZEN of the UNITED STATES of AMERICA, pursuant to the directions and requirements of the several Acts of Congress in relation thereto.

And the said Jonah Phillips, having thereupon produced to the court such evidence, made such declaration and renunciation, and taken such oath as are by the said Jonah Phillips be admitted, and he was accordingly admitted, by the said Court, to be a CITIZEN OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

SEAL By the CourtIn Testimony Whereof, the seal of the said Court is hereuto [sic] affixed, this 3rd day of May in the year One Thousand Eight Hundred and 71, and in the Year of our Independence the Ninety Fifth. John M. Evan Clerk


Handcart Veteran and Pioneer Resident
Of Springville Passes Away

(Special to the "News")

Springville, Utah September 4. Jonah Phillips, an old resident of Springville, died at 5:30 last night of old age and general debility. The deceased was born Dec. 18, 1831, at Llanboidy, Carmarthenshire, South Wales, was baptized into the Church March 25, 1854, at Aberdare, and took passage for America on the Ship S. Curling, April 17, 1856, being 35 days on the sea. He left Iowa City for Utah, June 9th, 1856, with the first handcart company, arriving in Salt Lake September 27, 1856. In 1857 he quarried rock for the Salt Lake Temple and was with 4000 Saints celebrating the 24th of July in Big Cottowood Canyon, when Porter Rockewell brought the news of the approach of Johnson's Army. In November of the same year he went to Echo Canyon in George Woodward's Company, and moved south in 1858, spending the winter of 58-59 at Camp Floyd. In the spring of '59 he moved to Springville, where he has lived continuously ever since. He married Ann Thomas, and was the father of 12 children, nine of whom are now living, five sons and four daughters. All are married but three sons. His son Levi was called home from the Southwestern States Mission at his father's request, as he wanted to see him before he passed away. He arrived August 24. Father Phillips leaves also 26 grandchildren. He has followed the business of blacksmithing and farming and for a number of years was janitor of the meeting house. He was a faithful Latterday Saint.

The funeral will be held from the Springville meetinghouse on Sunday, Sept. 6, at 2 P. M.

Note: This was copied from the original newspaper account of Jonah Phillips obituary, sent to us on 3-23-76 by Lucy A. Phillips, a granddaughter, who states it was probably printed in the Springville paper. There was no paper heading on the clipping. The clipping was from Adah Phillips Jesses Scrapbook.



Phillips, Jonah


No comments.