Roberts, Hugh - Biography (2)

My stepfather was also a Sergeant in the Special Constabulary.  They were both enthusiastic golfers.  My Stepfather died in 1969, and my mother in 1971.

?In 1969  I received a letter from Lyman (the Hugh and Mary Owens Roberts Family Genealogist) making inquiries about my father?s family.  This was the first indication mother and I had that there were any members of my father?s family anywhere.  I provided what little information I had and this Easter (1972) when Lyman wrote and invited me to the ?family reunion??I decided to accept and within a few weeks was on my way to USA.  I have been given a truly wonderful welcome by some very wonderful people.?  (Sybil was glad to return to England where the temperature was only 69 degrees and here in Utah we had been having weather in the 90s.  She thinks when she comes again it will have to be in the spring or in the fall.  We all enjoyed having her visit with us.)


After the dedication of the Logan Temple in May 1884, Hugh and Mary turned their attention to the work of redeeming their dead kindred and friends as far as they were able to obtain the necessary records.  They labored diligently to do this.  Mary walked many mornings from the old home in North Smithfield to the Logan Temple, a distance of at least 8 miles, to do the endowment work for one soul, then she would walk back in the evening to her home.  She did this after she was 70 years of age.  Such was her desire to see the work done, and great will be her reward for such devotion and sacrifices.  Hugh could not walk much as he was lame, but his devotion to the cause was none-the-less ardent and he embraced every opportunity to go to the temple and do what he could.

Hugh Roberts was near 6 feet in height, well proportioned, not stout but of an athletic build.  He was medium complexioned, with keen blue eyes, rather large straight nose, square chin, high cheek bones, and large ears.  He was of a deeply religious nature, with an undivided love of the Gospel and with a thorough knowledge and strong testimony of it.  He was kind and jovial, but firm in disposition and was good in judgment.  He loved music and had a fine smooth musical deep bass voice, and exhibited superior musical talent.  He found much satisfaction in his trade and had a friend in anyone who knew him.  He was always willing to give to the needy and help in every worthy work and answer every call made of him.

Mary Owens Roberts was short of stature and in her later life she became rather stout of build.  She was round in face with evenly balanced features.  She was medium light complexioned and had small piercing blue eyes.  Her voice was gentle and pleasing, and in song was a rich, melodious soprano.  She was very affectionate and kind, and won the love of all.   She was quick in action and unswerving in purpose.  She loved the Gospel with her whole soul and was willing to make any sacrifice for it.  She was industrious and saving.  She was a very good cook and housekeeper?everything tasty, clean and tidy in the home and she was clean and neat always in her person whether at home or elsewhere.  Many times in the evenings when the tasks of the day were done they would sit and converse about the Gospel and of times gone by.  They would sing the old familiar songs in Welsh, especially the hymns they used to sing for years in the Branch at Eglwysbach.  One of those hymns was a favorite with them and gave them much comfort and joy.  It was a hymn in the Old Welsh Hymn Book composed by David R. Roberts, who was the father of Robert D. Roberts, who had married their daughter Hannah.  When they would finish the singing of that hymn their eyes would be filled with tears and they would exclaim, ?Oh, it is beautiful, it is beautiful.?

Their souls rejoiced in the many blessings of God to them.  They had passed through the storms of life together, they were living in the evening?s sunshine, contemplating God?s mercy, with a full assurance of the reward that comes from a well-spent life of perfect union and of devotion to each other and to the cause of righteousness.  They were happy as children in the company of each other.  They had raised a large family and while all of their children were not members of the Church of Christ, they were all honorable in their lives and doing their duty in a way worthy of their noble parentage.  This was pleasing and a source of joy to them.

The time finally came for them to make another move.  They had lived many years in Smithfield and dearly loved the old home there and it was hard to leave it.  John, their son, had located nearly Liberty, Bear Lake County, Idaho.  He had a large farm there which he had bought, and being desirous of living near him, Hugh and Mary left the dear old home and moved into a comfortable log cabin on the farm near to John.  By this time Hugh had retired from active work at his trade and spent his time in reading and visiting around the farm and in playing with the children.  He loved children as did Mary, and he would often even in his advanced years enter into their play with them.  Never did they cease the raising of their voices together in song in the quiet evenings.  Never did they cease their prayers of thanksgiving daily to the true and living God whom they worshipped and served with undivided hearts.  Mortal life had nearly run its course with them.  Hugh had attained the ripe age of nearly 90 years and becoming ill and weakened in body, gave up the struggle of life like the burning out of the candle to its end.  He passed peacefully into the world of spirits on the 13th of Oct 1892, surrounded by some of his children and grandchildren, honored and loved by all.

A splendid and well-attended funeral was held in the Liberty Meeting House after which his remains were deposited in the little cemetery on the hill where the remains of a number of his grandchildren who preceded him were buried.  Mary now took up her abode with her daughter Margaret R. Morgan, where her every want was supplied by hands until she, too, worn out in body and ill?but a few days gave up this mortal career on Jan 9, 1894.  She went home to that God who gave her life, to mingle with her loved ones gone before in peace and joy for hers was a well-earned reward.  Her remains were buried by the side of her faithful husband in the Liberty Cemetery. 




Roberts, Hugh

Owens, Mary


No comments.