(Click on the image to see its full size)
At an early time, Louis and Ann Deschamps operated a country store in conjunction with their home, until 1909, it was established east across the yard from the church and schools. Most everything was sold there, from horseshoes to fancy lace dresses. A cow bell was hung on the door that rang when the door opened, alerting the proprietor that a customer was coming. It was a short trek for the school kids to the candy supply. The picture is of the log store in 1912 being dismantled. (Source: a book on St. John, ID. (St. John Centennial Committee, 1984)).
© 2012-2023 Center for Family History and Genealogy at Brigham Young University. All rights reserved.